Home / Graduate College Business Services / Graduate Research Awards

Graduate Research Awards

Graduate Research Support Program Guidelines

The Graduate Research Support Program application process is administered by GPSA, more information can be found at: http://gpsa.asu.edu/funding/research/graduate-research-support-program/.

Upon notification of an award, please reveiw the information below.


A candidate for grant allocations must be enrolled as a student at Arizona State University at the time of application and for the specified one-year funding period. The student must intend to complete her/his degree at Arizona State University.


Two levels of funding will be available: terminal (dissertation/thesis) and independent research.

Up to $2000 is available for research approved by the student’s dissertation or thesis committee.

Graduate students conducting research other than the terminal project in their regular curriculum may apply for up to $750.

Students may not apply simultaneously for both categories; only one proposal is accepted for review. Furthermore, only one award may be granted per degree (i.e., an applicant may not receive a terminal research grant for his/her thesis or dissertation more than once, however s/he may receive the $2,000 terminal research award for both a thesis project and also a dissertation project). The total amount requested in a proposal may not be awarded in full.

Only expenditures purchased within the one-year grant period (July 1 through June 30 of the current academic year) will be approved.

Funds will expire June 30, 2019.

Allowed Expenses

Research expenses may be purchased directly by Graduate College or reimbursable.  These items may include, but are not limited to:

Purchases made directly by Graduate College:

  • Equipment rental
  • Materials and supplies
  • Professional services for data analysis, typing, transcription, or coping which exceed a total cost of $1000

Reimbursable expenses

Purchasing and Reimbursements

  • Subject incentives, including consumable items such as food, and cash or cash equivalent
  • Travel to research facilities to collect pertinent data or conduct research
  • Per diem (meals) while in travel status
  • Professional services for data analysis, typing, transaction, or copying

Please contact Savannah Barragan for details at 480-965-5873 or grad-gpsa@asu.edu

  • ASU PURCHASE ORDERS AND LAB SERVICES: Contact us if you need to pay an ASU shop, lab, or department, (i.e., CLAS research labs – Research Billing Centers (RTS), Print Labs, Lab Stores, Animal Care); you will primarily be purchasing materials from lab stores or the ASU SunRise system; or, you must order research materials that require special handling, (e.g., chemicals, radioactive materials, live animals or perishables, heavy freight).
    • Reimbursements require original receipts. A receipt should demonstrate the name & business address of the merchant, the items purchased, and proof of payment. Receipts must be taped to 8 1/2-by-11-inch paper. Any justification / business purpose for an expense must be noted beside the receipt. Write your name, ASU ID and phone number on all documents you submit to us.
    • If payment is made by personal check, ASU requires proof that the check cleared your account with a photocopy of the front & back of the cancelled check, or bank statement with the charge circled.
  • PAYING PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PROVIDERS (e.g., translation, transcription, typing, programming, website development)
    • Employees of ASU may not be used as service providers. ASU distinguishes between employees and independent contractors.   An employee of ASU must be paid through ASU Payroll. Payment of wages is not supported by this research grant.
    • Submit Paperwork for approval before you engage professional services. You will need to submit three (3) forms: Departmental Professional Services Order, Employee/Independent Contractor Determination Checklist and Substitute W-9 form so that direct payment to the vendor can be made through ASU Accounts Payable. Contact Savannah Barragan for copies of the forms.
    • It’s preferred that you pay professional service providers through ASU Accounts Payable for tax reporting purposes in compliance with university policy FIN 420-01. With prior authorization students may procure goods or services directly from a vendor and request reimbursement from ASU if these 3 conditions are met:
      • total payments to the vendor in a calendar year are less than $1000
      • any purchase of items do not constitute compensation for services rendered , and
      • an original vendor’s receipt, or invoice marked paid, is provided at the time of requesting the reimbursement.
    • You must submit an ASU trip request form for all travel expenses. Go to the ASU Travel page for reimbursement and expense guidelines and forms:  http://cfo.asu.edu/myasutrip or http://myasutrip.asu.edu/login
      • Concur will populate your lodging per diem rates before you make your reservations.
      • Keep receipts for hotel, airfare, and shuttle or taxi.
      • Gas receipts are only reimbursed for rental vehicles. Submit a mileage expense for use of personal vehicles. Mileage is reimbursed at .445 cents per mile for use of personal vehicles (in-state).
    • Submit your Travel Expense Report Claim (TP) online with MyASU Trip with all receipts as soon as you return from your trip to expedite your reimbursement. If you properly submit an accurate claim, you will be reimbursed within 10 working days.  
    • If you already have an trip request started with another dept., please have the Travel Manager for your trip request contact Savannah Barragan so that your Travel Authorization can be amended to include the GRSP account funding. It is your responsibility to make sure that the GPSA/Graduate College information is added to your Travel Request prior to your trip.
    • You can get help filling out a ASU Trip Request form at the Graduate College Business Office, INTDSB 285 or email grad-gpsa@asu.edu
    • Paying Subjects directly by ASU Check:
      • Use the department Subject Payment Check Request Form. Contact grad-gpsa@asu.edu for a copy of the form.  Payments/Reimbursements will be processed through the Graduate College business office.
    • Reimbursements/Gift Cards/ Studies with Confidentiality Constraints
      • Gift certificates cannot be given to professional service providers or research staff (e.g., volunteers, or helpers); must be used for research participants.
      • You may not seek reimbursement for unused gift certificates. If you pay participants out-of-pocket and claim reimbursement for your expenses, then the following documentation is required for cash payments and gift cards or incentive items:
      • Prepare a cover letter of explanation about why you need reimbursed for cash payments or gift cards that includes:
        • the name of your study,
        • the IRB# assigned to your study
        • statement that the funds were paid to subjects participating in a graduate research project.
        • state how funds were secured while in your custody
        • The letter will be forwarded to Accounts Payable attached to the receipts and request for reimbursement. 

Requests for research expenses must include a justifiable budget with a detailed description of anticipated expenses within each category; justification is essential in the case of subject incentives. In the event that the Graduate Research Support Program cannot award a full grant, it is advisable that the applicants note funding priorities on the justified budget.

Prohibited Expenses

The Graduate Research Support Program will not reimburse/approve the following:

  • Equipment purchase (no laptops, no camera, etc.)
  • Reimbursements for expenses greater than or equal to $1,000
  • Tuition or remuneration of time spent on project
  • Conference travel (although travel for data collection is allowed)
  • Terminal publication charges (e.g., binding/printing of thesis or dissertation, etc.)
  • Services provided by ASU employees, which include research assistants and students


Written requests for budget changes and funding extensions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All requests for grant extensions, budget changes and extensions must be submitted for approval to Katrina Roalson, Director, Fiscal Business Services for Graduate College via email: grad-gpsa@asu.edu.