Pandemic Impact Award
The ASU Graduate College has established these awards to assist graduate students with unanticipated research and academic costs associated with COVID-19 and pandemic response. The Pandemic Impact Award is intended to assist students whose research or culminating projects have experienced unexpected financial impact due to COVID-19 closures.
About this Award
Graduate students who have a demonstrated financial impact on their research or culminating experience can apply for a one-time award (treated like a grant) up to $750 to be applied toward these expenses. Expenses can be already incurred (receipts required) or anticipated/needed in the coming weeks (with exact cost quotes included in application).
Terms of Award
- Requested amount should be for actual/projected amount of student expenses related directly to academics/research which were impacted by COVID-19, up to $750. Please note that the entire submitted budget will be reviewed and, in some instances, students may be awarded less than their requested amount.
- Types of expenses to be covered (but not limited to):
- Purchases of materials that expired during closures or must be repurchased due to closure
- Purchases of unanticipated items to keep research going during lab or studio closure where applicable (ex: materials and supplies necessary to conduct research outside of lab or studio, including associated cleaning and maintenance supplies)
- Expenses to keep animals/specimens alive during lab closure
- Expenses directly related to alternative data collection and project documentation
- Expenses to keep subscriptions, database access, ect. for longer than expected
- Studio/research space rental during closure (when work could not be done there)
- Non-refunded expenses during closure/cancellations
NOTE: The following items require additional steps for processing reimbursement or purchase: chemicals, animals or animal care costs, gift cards, ASU core facility charges (VISLAB, Print Lab, iLab, etc) and/or subject incentive payments.
- This fund cannot cover the following:
- Equipment such as desktop computers, laptops, iPads and other electronic devices
- Airfare (due to travel restrictions)
- ASU tuition, health insurance or fees
- Personal expenses or remuneration of time
- Normal/anticipated costs or research for degree completion (i.e. binding/printing dissertation)
- Upon being awarded, recipients will be provided more details about how the funds will be expensed/disbursed.
- Recipients must follow all award instructions and provide requested documentation, failure to do so may result in loss/removal of funds.
- Recipients will need to send a final report as well as itemized receipts and proof of purchase for all approved items. Details will be specified in the award letter.
Send an email to email@example.com.
First cycle - June 14, 2020 for expenses incurred March 15-September 30, 2020
Second cycle - September 25, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon) AZ time for expenses incurred August 1-December 1, 2020:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an immersion/campus-based ASU graduate degree program.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and be in good academic standing (award will not disburse if GPA is below 3.0).
- Recipients of the GPSA GRSP research awards for the 2019-20 academic year cycle are not eligible.
Students apply directly via the electronic application*, and must upload the following information as a single PDF to dropbox as outlined in application:
- Brief summary of research/project in layman’s terms (up to 250 words)
- Narrative of COVID-related financial impact to research/project/culminating experience (up to 500 words)
- Completed Financial Impact Assessment outlining all expenses using exact figures (as much as possible)
- Statement of support from Faculty Advisor or Graduate Chair/Director working directly with you on research/project.
- Statement must confirm that you are conducting this research/project, acknowledge that the listed items were necessary due to the current pandemic (would not be incurred under normal circumstances), provide any information about their support of your application, and contain author's full name, title, and contact information.
Once the application form has been submitted, an automatic confirmation email should be sent from the Graduate College immediately. After the submission deadline, all eligible applications will undergo committee review.
Please note that applications which do not have all materials in a single pdf will not be considered.
Applicants will be notified of committee decisions 4-6 weeks after submission deadline. At that time, recipients will be instructed on how to receive and utilize funds as well as what is required for purchase documentation.
Any questions should be submitted to GCFellowships@asu.edu.
*If you have any issues accessing the nomination form, please ensure you are using your ASUrite when trying to access the form. In some instances, using a different browser may be necessary.
Each fellow is personally responsible for individual taxes related to this award. Additional information regarding tax issues related to awards can be found at tax considerations. Specific questions should be directed to a tax advisor or contact the ASU Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.