Sign In / Sign Out
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
ASU PREP is a post-baccalaureate training program for individuals from backgrounds underrepresented in the biomedical and behavioral sciences who have recently completed the baccalaureate degree. PREP is designed to help prepare individuals with scholarly potential and strong motivation for acceptance into highly competitive doctoral programs and successful completion of a PhD or MD-PhD. Individualized development plans help prepare for acceptance into highly competitive doctoral training programs, opportunity to participate in extensive research to further develop experience and skills to improve competitiveness for and success. The objective is to increase the number of exceptional PhD graduates from underrepresented groups who move on to be leaders and contributors in the biomedical scientific community.
The objective of the Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) is to prepare individuals from backgrounds underrepresented in biomedical and behavioral sciences who have recently obtained their baccalaureate degrees for successful completion of PhD or MD-PhD training programs. For the purposes of this funding opportunity, recent baccalaureate graduates are those who have graduated from an accredited U.S. college or university no more than 36 months prior to applying to the PREP and are not currently enrolled in a degree program. In order to increase their acceptance into rigorous doctoral training programs, PREP participants will receive extensive research experiences and take courses for skills development during a one- to two-year research apprenticeship, to further develop their scholarly potential and improve their research skills. The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) expects that this program will lead to a steady supply of exceptional PhD students from underrepresented groups.
PREP Scholars are paid a salary as research apprentices, in addition to benefits and tuition (if applicable). Scholars are required to devote a minimum of 9 person-months (75% of full-time professional effort) and the remaining 3 person-months (25% effort) for further academic development.
ASU PREP Timeline
The ASU PREP year begins July 1 and runs through the following June (12 months).
How to apply
Application acceptance begins January 1 each year. Completed applications are reviewed upon receipt. The application deadline is March 31 each year. Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
ASU Graduate Education waives the admissions application fee for PREP scholars
Graduate Education domestic admissions application fee will be waived for PREP scholars applying to an ASU graduate program. There are two ways to facilitate the admissions application fee payment:
Dr. Brenda G. Hogue
Director, ASU PREP