Graduate College

FM: Degrees with exceptions and special format requirements/procedures

Degrees with exceptions and special format requirements/procedures

Thesis/Dissertation Equivalents
Some graduate degree programs require students to produce written projects that are not called “theses” or “dissertations.” If you are pursuing a degree in one of these programs, be sure to substitute the proper wording on the title page of your document as indicated in the following table:

Table 1
Exceptions to “Thesis” and “Dissertation” on the Title Page Degree Name of Document

Degree Name of Document
DMA in Conducting A Research Paper
DMA in Music Performance A Research Paper 
MFA in Creative Writing A Practicum
MFA in Dance A Bound Document

Documents Containing Separate Studies or Papers where the Student is the Author or Co-Author
Do not use the first person plural (i.e. “we,” “our,” or “us”) since theses and dissertations may not be co-authored. For more information regarding copyrights and permissions visit Copyright Library Guide. For more information regarding the use of previously published/publishable collaborative work, refer to the Policy on using Previously Published or Publishable Work in a Culminating Experience Document