Graduate College

GPP: Registration and Enrollment

Registration and enrollment

All students are required to have proof of measles immunizations on file with Student Health prior to registration. Graduate students register through MyASU according to their enrollment appointment. Details regarding registration and course drop/add procedures are provided in the Registration and Tuition Payment Guide.

Enrollment verification guidelines

The University’s Registrar’s Office will verify student enrollment each semester according to the general guidelines that follow.

Enrollment Verification Guidelines for Graduate Students



Full Time*

Half Time

Less Than Half Time


Regular Semester





9 or more hours

5-8 hours

4 or fewer hours

Graduate Assistant**

6 or more hours



Six-Week Summer Sessions





3 or more hours

2 hours

1 hour

Graduate Assistant**

2 or more hours

1 hour


Eight-Week Summer Session





5 or more hours

3-4 hours

2 or fewer hours


*Audited courses do not count toward full-time enrollment

**For enrollment verification purposes, “Graduate Assistant” is a generic term that includes Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, Teaching Associates and Research Associates. Academic units may have specific requirements regarding registration requirements for Graduate Assistants; students should consult with their degree program unit.

International F-1 and J-1 students are required to maintain full-time enrollment status. Any exception to full-time enrollment must be previously approved by the International Student and Scholars Center (ISSC).

Maximum course load

The office for Graduate Admission Services does not have a maximum credit hour enrollment policy. It is expected that academic units will set course loads for their students that facilitate academic success.

Continuous enrollment

Once admitted to a graduate degree program or graduate certificate program, students must be registered for a minimum of one credit hour during all phases of their graduate education, including the term in which they graduate. This includes periods when students are engaged in research, conducting a doctoral prospectus, working on or defending theses or dissertations, taking comprehensive examinations, taking Graduate Foreign Language Examinations, or in any other way utilizing university resources, facilities or faculty time.

Registration for every fall semester and spring semester is required. Summer registration is required for students taking examinations, completing culminating experiences, conducting a doctoral prospectus, defending theses or dissertations, or graduating from the degree program.

To maintain continuous enrollment the credit hour(s) must:

  • Appear on the student’s Plan of Study, OR
  • Be research (592, 792), thesis (599), dissertation (799), or continuing registration (595, 695, 795), OR
  • Be a graduate-level course.

Grades of “W” and/or “X” are not considered valid registration for continuous enrollment purposes. “W” grades are received when students officially withdraw from a course after the drop/add period. “X” grades are received for audit courses. Additionally, students completing work for a course in which they received a grade of “I” must maintain continuous enrollment as defined previously. Graduate students have one year to complete work for an incomplete grade; if the work is not complete and the grade changed within one year, the “I” grade becomes permanent. Additional information regarding incomplete grades can be found at

Graduate assistantships

All Graduate Teaching Assistants and Associates (TAs), and Graduate Research Assistants and Associates (RAs) must register for a minimum of six semester hours of appropriate credit during each academic term of their appointment. The six hours cannot include audit enrollment. Academic units may have specific requirements regarding Graduate Assistants; students should consult with their degree program unit.

TAs and RAs are treated as residents for tuition purposes. To be eligible for tuition remission, TAs and RAs must be employed a minimum of 10 hours per week (25 percent Full Time Equivalency {FTE}). TAs/RAs working 10-19 hours per week (25-49 percent FTE) receive a 50 percent remission of tuition for the semester or summer session of their employment. TAs/RAs working 20 hours per week (50 percent FTE) do not pay tuition during the semester or summer session of their employment. In addition, the university pays the individual health insurance premium for those TAs and RAs working 20 hours per week (50 percent FTE).

Due to federal regulations, international students on F-1 and J-1 visas are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session (fall and spring semesters). International students are allowed to work 40 hours per week during summer sessions. International students typically are not allowed to seek employment outside the university; students must consult with the International Student and Scholars Center (ISSC).

Detailed information and application procedures regarding Graduate Assistantships can be found at

Request to maintain continuous enrollment

Graduate students planning to discontinue registration for a semester or more must submit a Request to Maintain Continuous Enrollment form. This request must be submitted and approved before the anticipated semester of non-registration. Students may request to maintain continuous enrollment without course registration for a maximum of two semesters during their entire program.

Having an approved Request to Maintain Continuous Enrollment by Graduate College will enable students to re-enter their program without re-applying to the university. Students who do not register for a fall or spring semester without an approved Request are considered withdrawn from the university under the assumption that they have decided to discontinue their program. Students removed for this reason may reapply for admission to resume their degree program; the application will be considered along with all other new applications to the degree program.

A student with a Graduate College approved Request to Maintain Continuous Enrollment is not required to pay tuition and/or fees, but in turn is not permitted to place any demands on university faculty or use any university resources. These resources include university libraries, laboratories, recreation facilities or faculty time.

Voluntary withdrawal from ASU

If a student wishes to withdraw from his/her graduate degree program and the university, they must complete the Voluntary Withdrawal form. Students must separately complete the appropriate forms with the University Registrar to withdraw from their courses. International students should contact the International Student and Scholars Center (ISSC) before submitting a Voluntary Withdrawal form, as it most likely will affect their visa status.

Voluntary withdrawal from a graduate degree program

If a student wishes to transition from one graduate degree program to another graduate degree program, the student should complete the Voluntary Withdrawal form. The student should not take this action until they have been admitted to the other graduate degree program.

Other types of withdrawal

There are appropriate circumstances when students may need to withdraw from the university (i.e. medical withdrawal, compassionate leave). The policies for such withdrawals are the same for both undergraduate and graduate students. Types of withdrawals and procedures can be found at: For course withdrawals contact the University Registrar’s Office.

Involuntary withdrawal by the office for graduate education

Any student who does not comply with the Graduate College policies may be withdrawn from their graduate program after review by the Dean of the Graduate College.

In addition, an academic unit may recommend withdrawal of a student from a graduate program for lack of compliance with published departmental policies or lack of satisfactory academic progress. All such recommendations must be submitted to the Graduate College with appropriate documentation (e.g., nature of issue, communications with student). Only the Dean of the GraduateCollege may withdraw a student from a graduate program due to lack of compliance with satisfactory academic progress policies.

A student who has been withdrawn from a graduate program due to lack of compliance with published departmental or Graduate College policies, or lack of satisfactory academic progress is eligible to apply for admission to the same program only after one year has passed from the term of the withdrawal.