ASU Postdoctoral Career Conference
The purpose of the ASU Postdoctoral Career Conference is to give postdocs the opportunity to explore multiple career pathways, and to help postdocs be successful in their efforts to obtain the jobs of their choosing.
The 2022 ASU Postdoctoral Career Conference will take place April 14, 2022, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Whether you’re headed for the tenure-track, you’re an industry type or you are one of those crazy startup people, we want to talk about how to get ready for your next big thing.
This year's conference will be held in-person, and will feature some of ASU’s amazing staff and former postdocs who will provide insight and coaching on the job search process. We will also hear from former postdocs who have chosen career paths in government, entrepreneurship and industry, and what led them to choose those paths.
This professional development conference is open to all postdocs, research scientists and final-year PhD students. The purpose of the conference is to reveal and explain hiring processes across all sectors and to expose postdocs to a wider range of career options.
Here's a look back at our last conference:
1:00 p.m. Welcome: Dr. Elizabeth Wentz, Vice Provost and Dean, ASU Graduate College
1:10 p.m. Panel 1: Choosing a Career Pathway
What do different career paths look like after your postdoc? What things can postdocs do now to set them up for success in different career paths?
- Dr. Emily Turner - Former ASU Postdoc, now with Critical Path Institute in Tucson, AZ
- Dr. Shahrzad Badvipour - Former ASU Postdoc, now with Arizona Dept of Environmental Quality in Phoenix, AZ
- Dr. April Jeffries - Former ASU Postdoc, now with Osazda Energy Inc. in Albuquerque, NM
- Dr. Carlos Rubio-Medrano - Former ASU Postdoc, now Asst. Prof. at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, TX
- Moderators: Dr. Medha Dalal and Dr. Tara Nkrumah, current ASU Postdocs
2:05 p.m. Panel 2: Getting the Job
What skills/knowledge/experience is most valuable in different roles, and how can postdocs highlight these in applications? What compromises should be made when considering a position and for what reason?
3:00 p.m. Panel 3: Advancing your Career
What does career advancement look like in your chosen field? E.g. promotion, annual reviews, job security, etc. What are the resources available to you for professional development?
- Dr. Heather Emady - Former Postdoc at Proctor & Gamble, now ASU Professor, Tempe, AZ
- Dr. Archana Sinha - Former ASU Postdoc now Postdoc at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- Dr. Ganesh Subramanian - Former ASU Postdoc now Engineer at Intel, Chandler, AZ
- Dr. Manpuneet Benipal - Former ASU Postdoc now CEO of Advent Diamond in Scottsdale, AZ
- Moderator: Dr. Eric Chen, current ASU Postdoc
4:00 p.m. Postdoctoral Career Fair Presented by ASU Career Services
Participating companies will be:
- AAAS Science & Technology Policy
- HRL Laboratories
- Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- US Navy Medical Programs