The Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT) signed an agreement with Arizona State University in 2015 to accomplish two purposes:
- Provide up to 30 fellowships each year to Mexican students regularly admitted to and enrolled in PhD programs at ASU. Every year, CONACYT publishes a request for applications (RFA) (see details below). Individuals admitted to ASU doctoral programs apply for financial support to CONACYT headquarters or to CONACYT branches in various Mexican states. RFAs specify how to apply and identify the target disciplines/programs eligible for these fellowships.
- Support a visiting scholar program from Mexico and ASU. Applications are open throughout the year.
About this Award
- ASU academic department/unit provides:
- 25% assistantship with stipend and non-resident tuition support
- Support for ASU student health insurance
- CONACYT provides:
- In-state tuition
- Monthly stipend for living expenses ($1,100/month) paid directly to the student
- Annual stipend for health insurance ($715) paid directly to the student
- Additional fees (program/course fees, standard ASU fees) are the responsibility of the student but may be provided by the ASU academic department/unit.
Terms of Award
- CONACYT and ASU will provide the aforementioned financial support for a maximum of four years.
- For awardees, renewal of CONACYT-ASU support as specified in this agreement is contingent upon:
- Full time enrollment.
- Satisfactory progress toward the graduate degree.
- Maintenance of good academic (minimum GPA = 3.2) and disciplinary status.
- Compliance with all reporting requirements specified by CONACYT due every semester.
- Return to Mexico upon graduation for a minimum of two years per the J-1 visa requirements.
What are the applicant eligibility criteria for the fellowship?
- Be admitted to an ASU Ph.D. program. Admission letter is required.
- Pass a language proficiency test (TOEFL = 550; IDT (79/80); IBT = 79-80 (internet version); IELTS = 6.5
- Mexican applicants admitted to ASU will need to apply for funding to CONACYT. See list of required materials for these applications at Becas al Extranjero
- See application evaluation criteria at (see pp. 11-12): Evaluation and Selection
What disciplines or knowledge areas does the fellowship cover?
- Priority is given to disciplines in the hard and natural sciences—e.g., math, physics, chemistry, biology, earth sciences, engineering, environmental sciences, biotechnology, oceanography, health and life sciences, agricultural sciences, energy. Other disciplines are included in RFAs from CONACYT headquarters.
- See information at BECAS CONACYT PARA ESTUDIOS DE DOCTORADO EN EL EXTRANJERO 2019 and from various Mexican states.
- See RFAs at Convocatorias Abiertas Becas al Extranjero.
Does the fellowship exclusively target Ph.D. students or can other doctoral programs be included (e.g., Ed.D.; J.D.)?
- Only Ph.D. programs are supported by this fellowship program.
- Student must apply and be admitted to an ASU doctoral degree program
- Student apply directly to CONACYT, Becas al Extranjero
- To expedite the process, applicants can start the CONACYT online application at the same time they prepare and submit the ASU application. Online CONACYT applications can be saved so that the ASU admission letter can be subsequently uploaded (when available) to complete the CONACYT application.
Marcela Cruz Caballero, MS. Subdirectora de Becas en el Extranjero
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone In Mexico: 55 5322-7700, ext. 1210
- Telephone in U.S.: 011 52 55 5322-7700, ext. 1210
Leticia Ponce Solís, scholarship holders bank accounts and cards
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone In Mexico: 55 5322-7700, ext. 1206
- Telephone in U.S.: 011 52 55 5322-7700, ext. 1206
Eduardo López Valverde, academic monitoring and modifications to the RFA’s
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone In Mexico: 55 5322-7700, ext. 1216
- Telephone in U.S.: 011 52 55 5322-7700, ext. 1216
Silvia Vázquez Neria, invoice, bills and payments to the foreign institution
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone In Mexico: 55 5322-7700, ext. 1225
- Telephone in U.S.: 011 52 55 5322-7700, ext. 1225
Rocío Moreno Canales, stipend payments, medical insurance and tuition
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone In Mexico: 55 5322-7700, ext. 1219
- Telephone in U.S.: 011 52 55 5322-7700, ext. 1219