Graduate College University Grant
The Graduate College University Grant (GCUG) is a need-based award to support new and continuing masters and doctoral students with financial need as determined by information taken from the FAFSA. The GCUG is intended to support in recruitment and retention of outstanding graduate students at Arizona State University. Students may receive this grant for a maximum of four semesters throughout their degree study. Students must be nominated by their academic unit.
Each academic unit may submit no more than two (2) nominations per program each cycle unless otherwise specified below.
About this Award
Awards can be for one semester or one academic year. Students may be awarded up to $5,000 per semester (fall and spring only).
Terms of Award
- Recipients must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits in the awarded semester(s)
- Recipients must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA, award will not disburse if GPA is below a 3.0
- Award only applicable for period of nomination and is not automatically renewed. Nomination is required for each new award period.
Academic Year 2023-24: Friday, February 24, 2023
Note: Schools should submit no more than two nominations per program. Submission deadline is 5:00 p.m. local time.
In order to be eligible to receive the award, each new or continuing student must:
- Be an eligible domestic student as defined by Financial Aid and Scholarship Services
- Be admitted or enrolled in an on-campus immersion graduate program (Masters or Doctoral)
- Have a FAFSA on file by February 1, 2022 and an unmet need as defined by the financial aid office (note ASU's priority deadline is January 15, 2022)
- Enroll for a minimum of 6 credit hours in the awarded semester(s)
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA, award will not disburse if GPA is below 3.0
- Not exceed the maximum terms allowed for Graduate College Fellowship funding. A student can receive a total of four semesters of this funding during their graduate program
Graduate Faculty Program Chair/Director or designee electronically submits a completed Graduate College Fellowship Nomination Form. Once the nomination form has been submitted, an automatic confirmation email will be sent for reference. If you do not receive an email confirmation of the nomination, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominating units will receive email notification of selected recipients from the Graduate College approximately four weeks after the nomination deadline. Academic units are then responsible for notifying students of award decisions and obtaining signed Confirmation Form.
Note: If you have any issues accessing the nomination form, please ensure you are using your ASUrite when trying to access the form. In some instances, using a different browser may be necessary.
Each fellow is personally responsible for individual taxes related to this award. Additional information regarding tax issues related to awards can be found at tax considerations. Specific questions should be directed to a tax advisor or contact the ASU Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.
An "overaward" is when a student’s need based awards exceed his/her financial need, or the total of the awards exceeds the cost of attendance. If a student has been overawarded, federal regulations require ASU to adjust his/her awards which may result in a reduction in awards or a bill. Need based aid include grants, scholarships, Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loans, and outside resources (i.e. faculty/staff tuition benefits, scholarships, stipends, etc.). Non-need based aid includes unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans and Private Education Loans. Questions regarding overawards should be directed to the ASU Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.