Current Graduate College travel funding update - February 15, 2022
As ASU travel guidelines and restrictions have been updated, the Graduate College will allow students to apply directly for funds for registration fees only for in-person or remote attendance at professional development conferences and events. Funds for other travel expenses are not permissible.
About this Award
Students may receive up to $300 per award period for a maximum of $1,000 per fiscal year
|Application Deadline||Award Period|
|Wednesday, June 3, 2022||July 1 to September 30, 2022|
|Thursday, September 1, 2022||October 1 to December 31, 2022|
|Thursday, December 1, 2022||January 1 to March 31, 2023|
|Wednesday, March 1, 2023||April 1 to June 30, 2023|
- For the period of July - September 2022 - Funding requests will be accepted for registration costs for conferences, workshops and training only.
- Applicants must be graduate students enrolled in an on-campus immersion program during the award period who are in good standing with their academic unit and the Graduate College.
- Funding requested must be directly related to the applicant's current graduate program of study.
- Students must self-apply and include a letter of recommendation signed by an ASU faculty member.
- Students may apply for each deadline but will be awarded only up to a max of $300 per award period for a total of $1,000 per fiscal year (July 2022 - June 2023).
- Non-permissible or non-reimbursable charges will be the responsibility of the academic unit or non-reimbursable to the applicant.
- The following are non-permissible expenses: ASU charges or fees (including workshops or courses utilizing ASU student accounts), requests for professional certifications, or travel-related expenses such as airfare, per diem, hotel, and miscellaneous expenses.
- An application must be submitted no later than 05:00 PM AZ time of the application period deadline.
- Application for events occurring July 1- September 30, 2022.
- Students must submit application and upload (Dropbox link provided in application) a letter of recommendation signed by an ASU faculty member by the deadline stated above.
- Deadlines and completed information are essential to processing requests in a fair and timely manner. In order to ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions will be made to program guidelines or deadlines.
Applicants will be notified as to the status of their application two to three weeks after the close of the posted deadline. If an applicant does not receive an email notification by three weeks after the application deadline, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inquire of his or her application status by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for an update.
How to Submit for Reimbursement or Payment of Expenses
It is important that you follow all instructions in the award letter in order to utilize funding. There are several option available for utilizing awarded funding (outlined further below) including Graduate College direct payment or expense reimbursement (via MyASU Trip or ASU Accounts Payable).
- Once you have registered as a vendor and completed the Student Financial Support Certification Form, we will process the payment.
If you are requesting the Graduate College make payment on your behalf, please fill out the required Expenditure Payment Request Form (provided with award letter) and submit to email@example.com with the following:
- A copy of the award letter
- Information needed to make payment (website, registration form, etc.)
- Documentation of event in pdf format (webpage, brochure, email)
- You are also required to add a brief statement on the submission form that explains the purpose of the event and how your “attendance” at this event benefits you, ASU, and your research.
If you are seeking reimbursement for a payment that you have already made, please fill out the required Expenditure Payment Request Form (provided with award letter) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A copy of the award letter/email notification
- Receipt showing proof of payment
- Documentation of event in pdf format (webpage, brochure, email)
- You are also required to add a brief statement on the submission form that explains the purpose of the event and how your “attendance” at this event benefits you, ASU, and your research
- Reimbursements should be submitted within 2 weeks of receipt of this award but no later than 30 days after payment is made
If you have a current ASU graduate appointment (RA/TA/GSA) or are an ASU Employee (Student Worker/Other):
- Please verify your ASU Affiliate ID on the Expenditure Payment Request Form is correct.
- Confirm that your ASU Financial Management System (Workday) account is active.
- Confirm that the Direct Deposit account used for payroll is correct and active.
- We will process an Expense Reimbursement via Workday, and it will route to you for your approval.
If you do not currently have an active ASU graduate appointment (RA/TA/GSA) or are not an ASU Employee (Student Worker/Other)
*NOTE: ONLY COMPLETE THIS STEP IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTIVE ASU APPOINTMENT (RA/TA/GSA) or EMPLOYEE (SW/OTHER)
- Register as a non-services supplier. The registration process is done via ASU DocuSign found here. Please use the ASU Registration Information Instructions to guide you through the submission process.
- Complete the Direct Student Financial Support Payment Certification Form (click on the Payables and Reimbursements tab). Please ensure you fill out your Student Name, Student ID, answer the residency question and sign.
Reimbursable Expenses for In-Person Registration Costs through MyASU Trip (Concur)
The Graduate College Travel Award will cover costs of registration up to $300 per award period with documented receipts. For specific instructions on this process, please reach out to email@example.com.
Both Travel Award Application, as well as the required travel request listed below for domestic or international travel, must be completed prior to submitting your Travel Award application.
- Domestic or International Travel: Please go to the ASU Travel Page to update your Travel Profile and then build a Trip Request (as well as the Travel Award Application, see above). Instructions for updating your Travel Profile and creating a Trip Request can be found in the My ASU TRIP manual.
- When preparing your Concur trip request via MyASU Trip, you will need to route the request thru your academic unit. If awarded, the academic unit will need to add the Graduate College cost center, CC0959 and program, PG02940, and route the request for final approval to Pamela Felix.
If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate College Business Office via phone at 480-965-5873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.