SUMMER 2020 UPDATE - While ASU travel restrictions remain in place, the Graduate College will allow students to apply directly for funds to cover registration costs for online/remote conferences and trainings which occur from June 1, 2020 - July 31, 2020. Read all details on the application at https://forms.gle/grGFKWuh3oXtpKQV7 as details below pertain to future cycles assuming travel restrictions are lifted.
The Graduate College Travel Awards provide funding for graduate students for airfare and/or registration costs to attend professional conferences and workshops. Students must be nominated by their admitting academic unit.
Each department may submit no more than three (3) nominations per program.
About this Award
Up to $500 per award period for a maximum of twice per fiscal year
For travel during this range
Monday, July 6, 2020
August 1 - September 30, 2020 (pending removal of ASU travel restrictions)
Monday, August 31, 2020
October 1 - December 31, 2020
Monday, November 30, 2020
January 1 - March 31, 2021
Monday, March 1, 2021
April 1 - June 30, 2021
- Applicants must be graduate students enrolled in an on-campus immersion program who are in good standing with their academic unit and the Graduate College. Conference travel must be directly related to the applicant's graduate program of study.
- Each student may apply for each deadline but will be awarded only up to a max of $500 per award period for a total of $1,000 per fiscal year (July - June).
- No taxis or other local transportation will be reimbursed from these funds. Under very unusual circumstances and upon prior approval, mileage will be reimbursed.
- Due to limited funding, Graduate College can only fund up two (2) travel applications per program.
- Non-permissible or non-reimbursable charges will be the responsibility of the academic unit or non-reimbursable to the applicant.
- Per diem, hotel, and miscellaneous expenses are not permissible.
- Students must be nominated by their academic unit.
- An application must be submitted no later than 05:00 PM AZ time of the application period deadline. Applications will only be accepted by the Graduate College from academic units.
- We will not accept any applications submitted directly to Graduate College. Please check with your academic unit as they will have their own internal deadline for candidate selection.
- Deadlines and completed information are essential to processing requests in a fair and timely manner. In order to ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions will be made to program guidelines or deadlines.
- The Graduate College does not fund retroactively. To receive funding, you must apply before you travel.
A one-day grace period to the application deadline may be allowed for applicants traveling on the last day of a month to attend an event beginning on the first day of the subsequent month.
Applications are submitted initially by the student to the student's academic unit for evaluation and prioritization in accordance with the unit's established criteria. Check with your academic department for their internal deadlines. Department chair/director or other person authorized to release departmental travel funds must sign the form.
Both Travel Award Application, as well as the required travel request listed below for domestic or international travel, must be completed prior to submitting your award application.
- Domestic or International Travel: Please go to the ASU Travel Page to update your Travel Profile and then build a Trip Request (as well as the Travel Award Application, see above). Instructions for updating your Travel Profile and creating a Trip Request can be found in the My ASU TRIP manual.
- When preparing your Concur trip request via MyASU Trip, you will need to route the request thru your academic unit. If awarded, the academic unit will need to add the Graduate College cost center, CC0959 and program, PG02940, and route the request for final approval to Jennifer Aguero.
The Graduate College Travel Award will cover costs of airfare and/or event registration up to $500 per award period with documented receipts. The Graduate College will allow travel advances only in rare and extenuating circumstances.
Applicants will be notified as to the status of their application no later than the two weeks after the close of a travel award deadline. If an applicant does not receive an email notification, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inquire of his or her application status by contacting their academic unit first and if their application was submitted to the Graduate College, then they can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for an update.
How to Submit a Travel Claim for Reimbursement, After the Trip
Travel Awardee Responsibilities
It is important that you follow all instructions in the award letter in order to be reimbursed. Please follow your academic unit’s instructions for submitting a travel expense report via MyASU Trip. Keep all original receipts including those for airfare and conference registration. Also, keep a copy of any event registration forms or other proof of registration payment. A copy of the front page of the conference brochure showing the name, location and dates of the conference as well as copies of any funding award letters must be included in your expense report. To add the funding letters, please select the option "other supporting documentation" and attach each of the award letters.
Upon returning from your trip, file your expense report in MyASU Trip. Be sure to enter your reimbursable expenses (up to your total awarded/funded amount) under “actual expenses.” You may need to reduce the amounts so that they do not exceed the total reimbursable (awarded/funded) amount. Receipts should be uploaded into the MyASU Trip portal when filing your expense report.
- Upon receiving this award you have one week to submit your travel requests into the travel system for approval to ensure that in the event something occurs during your trip you are covered by ASU.
- If you are receiving funding from multiple sources, you should route the trip request through the given area first, and the Graduate College Business Office should be added as the final approval. The requests and expense reports should be routed in the following order: academic unit, GPSA (if applicable) and then the Graduate College.
- You are also required to add a brief statement on the travel request that explains the purpose of your travel and how your attendance at this conference benefits you, ASU, and your research.
- Within 2 weeks of trip completion, the traveler should complete the trip expense report by logging into https://myasutrip.asu.edu/login and uploading applicable receipts. Please contact the graduate support staff member and/or business office in your academic unit to assist you in completing the final steps of the travel expense report. The traveler should add Pamela Felix (pfelix) as an approver to the expense report prior to submittal.
- Please make sure to include your travel award letter(s) for all funding sources to the trip request as an attachment. When you return from your trip and are completing your expense report, please attach your award letter to a line on the report and name it “other supporting documentation”. All submissions that do not include this backup will be returned.
- When preparing your Concur trip request via MyASU Trip, you will need to route the request thru your academic unit. If awarded, the academic unit will need to add the Graduate College cost center, CC0959 and program, PG02940, and route the request for final approval to Pamela Felix (pfelix).
- If you receive funding from multiple sources, you should add all accounts and approvers. The requests and expense reports should be routed in the following order: academic unit, any other funding sources (if applicable), GPSA (if applicable) and then the Graduate College.
- If you need additional, assistance to complete your travel expense report you can locate the manual at https://www.asu.edu/fs/travel/MyASU-Trip-travel-guide.pdf. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the ASU Travel Service Center by email or at 480.965.3111.
- This process is necessary to reimburse you for travel expenses. If your trip is canceled, please send an email to email@example.com and cancel your online travel request form.
If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate College Business Office via phone at 480-965-5873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.