These awards cover airfare to assist academic units in bringing diverse and highly-qualified Doctoral, MFA, or terminal degree applicants to campus for recruitment visits. Academic units are responsible for providing lodging, meals, and local transportation (shuttle, taxi).
About this Award
- $500.00 - $5,000 per program
- Units should request 'block' or total dollar amount
Friday, December 6, 2019
Submission deadline is 5:00 p.m. local time.
Pre-admission: All units should apply in advance for funding. Only one proposal may be submitted per academic unit. Funding may be used to:
- Bring terminal degree students to campus for a recruitment visit.
- Recruit outstanding master's degree students the unit seeks to later admit to a doctoral program who are underrepresented in their fields.
- Graduate Faculty Program Chair/Director or designee electronically submits a completed Graduate College Recruitment Airfare Award Proposal Form. Proposals should include:
- The total dollar amount requested
- A recruitment plan specifying how the unit will identify/recruit top students and plans for visits. Review our best practices: https://graduate.asu.edu/newsletter/best-practices/successful-graduate-s....
- A description of how unit will leverage this award to strengthen and improve the diversity of the academic unit’s graduate student population
- A description of how this year's approach is different from last year or previous years
- A table identifying the number of candidates successfully recruited to ASU with previous Recruitment Airfare Awards compared to how many received the award and include yearly results for the previous 3-5 years that match submitted documentation
- Proposals will be evaluated based on these criteria as well as the record of units in successfully utilizing past awards
- NOTE: Late proposals are unlikely to receive support.
- The Graduate College will review the proposal and award a set dollar amount to the unit to be used at their discretion for economy-class airfare only (additional booking fees, seat selection fees, etc. are not covered). Units will be notified via email of their awarded amount and all applicable deadlines.
- After completion of the recruitment cycle, the unit is responsible for submitting the following in one (1) PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed Airfare Award Recipients Form (to be downloaded and completed by academic unit)
- Detailed Revenue Expense and Ledger Accounts Report from WorkDay (with transactions identified)
- Supporting Documents (i.e., receipts showing proof of payment for transactions identified)
- The Graduate College will review and approve the submitted PDF packet and send an email with next steps for journaling funds.